Pineapple on pizza? Who does that? Well, I and many others love pizza. Although you can readily find it in the pizza store, you can also make yours at home; do you know how to?
Hawaiian pizza will serve you best if you like pineapples, especially during the pineapple fruit season like now.
It’s safe to say that the pineapple’s addition to the toppings makes it all delicious but also sweet.
If you like this pizza type, you will never get enough of it. When your family doesn’t like the ones in the pizza store, it’s time to change.
How about making it at home since you can have as many fillings as you would like to? Keep reading to learn how to make your best Hawaiian pizza.
Most people think of the pineapples when talking of Hawaiian pizza toppings. But there’s more to it. You will sometimes have ham, different kinds of cheese and sauces too.
You either love or hate this pizza.
Believe it or not, when it comes to Hawaiian pizza, you have only two choices; some people like it, others don’t. And those who don’t can’t even try it for the belief that it’s not supposed to have such toppings.
But what‘s the history of this pizza?
I know when people read the name think that the pizza is from Hawaii, but it’s just from Canada. By the time pizza was reaching Canada, we had one cook – Sam Panopoulos inventing this pizza style. It just so happens that he liked to add the delicious ham and pineapple toppings to the pies.
At the time, Sam wanted to make a diverse meal style, so he tried this Hawaiian style, and it came out victorious. To date, it’s still a trendy choice of pizza.
How do you make the pizza dough at home?
One of the best secrets to making the best pizza you wouldn’t know is to use homemade pizza dough. I know most people prefer to get the dough or the pizza crust from the shops. Please don’t make it instead from scratch; that way, you can make necessary alterations if you need to.
For the pizza dough, you need flour, yeast water, and olive oil. The process will take about an hour.
In most situations, though, you can make the dough in advance, and this one then will make it even more flavorful. You will mostly have the complex taste. Remember, then you can divide the dough and take the one you want to use.
Let‘s talk about the toppings.
I don’t know what sauce you would like to use, but you can use the marinara sauce, and it will make a good pizza sauce.
When you’re thinking about the cheese, always consider the shredded option. When you choose the shredded cheese, you’re sure to have the toppings always attached.
The pineapple is the most important here, and you should therefore remember to cut it into bite sizes. Another thing to remember is to use fresh pineapples as opposed to canned ones. There’s a difference in the flavors it’s going to add.
If you are making it at home, you have every reason to make it from the fresh pineapple as you aren’t in a hurry. You want to make the best.
The ham or the bacon is the other thing you have to consider. The Hawaiian pizza will work significantly with the Canadian bacon.
In summary, what’s on the toppings:
Like most other pizzas, the Hawaiian is versatile, allowing you to play around with the toppings. In this case, you can be sure to have the following as part of the toppings.
- Expect bacon and ham.
We are not talking of any ham or bacon; we are saying the use of Canadian bacon only. Here, you can then dice it or choose the one already sliced to use for the process.
This is a must-have for the Hawaiian-style pizza. Although you can use the canned ones, I often say you shouldn’t use the canned ones. If you are then going to use the pineapples, make sure you try to make it not so wet. It would help if you always avoided the sogginess that may result from you using the wet pineapples.
I mean, the cheese is everything on most pizza. Depending on the flavor you are reaching for, then the cheese you like may vary.
Other pizza recipes
How to make the Hawaiian pizza?
Before you go on to the recipe, I want you to know that this is one of the pizza styles that will cook pretty fast. You should then set the pizza oven at about 450°F. Check the number of toppings that you have, and that will determine how long it takes. Generally, though then you should cook the pizza in 13-15minutes.
- 150 grams 150 grams of high-gluten flour
- 90 ml 90 ml of warm water
- 2.5 grams yeast
- 2.5 grams salt
- 5 grams sugar
- 10 grams olive oil
- 60 grams pineapple
- 30 grams sausage
- 10 grams green beans
- 15 grams corn kernels
- 15 grams green peppers
- Pizza sauce (the amount is up to you. )
- Mozzarella (the amount is up to you. )
- Making the doughRemember how you, therefore, make the dough will determine how good your pizza is. You will need to mix the high-quality flour powder, yeast, sugar, and salt in the basin. Next, add on the olive oil and water to make the perfect dough. Once you have the rough dough, it's ready for kneading. Now start to knead the dough until the surface of the dough is smooth and elastic. When this then happens, you know that the dough is ready for rising.
- Allow it to riseCover the basin with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Some people will leave it out to start rising for a few minutes. Other times when the weather is too cold, put it in the oven. If you have an oven with some unique functions, turn the knob to the "fermentation" function. So then ferment to twice the size in 50 minutes.
- Prep the toppingsSlice the sausage, slice the pineapple, and cut the green pepper into small sections. These then you can set aside ready for use.
- Prep the cheeseWhich kind of cheese are you using? There are different cheese types you can use. The most common one is the mozzarella type. So cut the mozzarella into silk or small pieces.
- Preheat your oven too.Please set it to 450°F for about 20 minutes, which means it will be hot enough for baking to begin.
- Rest the doughPlease take out the fermented dough from the oven and let it relax for 10 minutes. Roll it out into a pizza dough. Check that it fits the same size as the pizza pan. Next, please put it in the pizza pan, and pierce some small holes on the surface with a fork.You make the tiny holes because you don't want it to create massive air holes when cooking it. Also, this will help it to hold the toppings easily. This will also make it easy to flatten the dough for easy carriage of the dough.
- Start to set the toppings on the pizza dough.Spread some pizza sauce evenly on the surface of the crust. I like the store-bought pizza sauce, but you can even make yours if you like. I like to skip this step as it makes my work a lot easier. Put on sausage slices, green peppers, pineapple, corn kernels, and green beans.
- Cheese itHere you are going to set just a single layer of your mozzarella. Just leave some more out to add on later. I love the pizza being stretchy, so to me, the more cheese, the better.
- Set it in the ovenPut it into the baking tray, and it's ready to set in the oven. Put the tray in the middle of the oven is 180 degrees, and bake for about 15 minutes. But keep checking to make sure you don't burn it.
- 2nd layer of cheeseTake out the cooking pizza and add on the remaining part of mozzarella. Just sprinkle it on the surface. This you should do at the 8th minute. Continue to bake for 10 minutes; also, watch the surface and expect it to turn slightly yellow.
Check out the article to find out what to serve with pizza.
How will you know it‘s cooked?
When you are cooking or baking, you have to be around the kitchen to know when it’s cooked. The crust tends to be golden brown, while the cheese also melts.
You will see the toppings having blended in with the pizza crust and other toppings in some cases. Other instances are when the pizza cheese starts to bubble.
Check your oven temperature.
You always want to use the oven as being extremely hot. This will make it easy to attain crispy, perfectly cooked, and delicious pizza. If you, therefore, look at it, you will notice it has a crispy crust with perfectly melted cheese.
Make sure you evenly spread whatever toppings you are using to ensure it fits right on the pizza crust.
I prefer to buy my cheese then shred it by myself. The ones you buy that it already pre-shredded then could be anything, including not so good quality cheese. Some will come with the coating, which means it’s even harder to melt the coating.
How do you sprinkle the cheese?
Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese at the start and then halfway as it’s cooking again. This, for some reason, is better tasting and even more stretchy. Again you can use as much cheese as you would like to use.
Do you like other varieties of cheese aside from the mozzarella? You can use them alongside the mozzarella. In this case, then I would have the other cheese in the first layer and the mozzarella, then I would add once it’s half baked.
When you hold on to the cheese and put it a little later, then you make it easy to attain the crispy crust.
It‘s all versatile
If you like other veggies and fruits, you can use them alongside the standard bacon, ham, and pineapple. You can put more fruits and vegetables you like.
How long does the pizza last?
I know when you’re going to make the pizza at home, you want the one that will last long, or sometimes you have leftovers. Well, if you store it right, it’s going to last. The main thing is that you can reheat it if you want to.
But it would help if you stored it as soon as you are done eating to avoid bacterial growth. If you, however, set it in the refrigerator, you should eat it in less than three days. If you, however, want it to last longer than it’s supposed to be in the freezer.
What sauce should you then use?
Like the other sauces you will use for other pizzas, you can use the pizza sauce, marinara sauce, or tomato sauce. If you, however, like the white sauces, then you should choose them. I can often use the alfredo sauce, BBQ sauce, or any other white pizza sauce. Some people use the enchilada sauce.
However, if you are like my family, you won’t like the store-bought canned sauces. If you don’t, you can also make the sauce at home, and it’s easy when you know how to do it. I like to make tomato sauce for my family.
How long should I allow my pizza to rise or ferment?
Generally, it would help if you had the pizza dough to prove for at least an hour. But if you want it richly flavored, you will need it to rest for at least 6 hours. This will also mean that you can let it develop the structure and the flavor.
Do Americans like Hawaiian pizza?
It all depends on the person, but this is a controversial pizza in America. There are a few people who like it but not as much as the people in Australia. It’s one of the most bought pizzas in Australia but not really in America.
For the dough
You should always make sure you have the soft dough at room temperature. It’s much easier to roll it in place. Although we like the cheese or the toppings, don’t put too much that the dough can’t handle.