You might be wondering or asking if it is possible to grill a frozen pizza, and the answer to this is yes, you can. Most people are used to the idea of grilling meat while having a barbecue, but you might not have experienced grilling a pizza.
It is possible to grill a pizza, and yes, it can be one of the best experiences of eating a frozen pizza. In this article, you will discover how and why it is a good idea to try out grilling your pizza.
When it comes to grilling, you are not limited by the many available options. You can either use the gas grill, charcoal grill, or wood grill. All of these options are unique, and they come with their advantages and benefits.
The wood-grilled pizza is incredible because it adds that smokey flavor to your pizza. The gas grill is more comfortable to regulate when it comes to temperature settings. It will take you roughly 5 to 10 minutes to have your pizza ready if you are cooking it on a grill. Let us look in more detailed ways on how to use these three different types of grills.
1. How to Grill Pizza with a Charcoal Grill
This is the cheapest type of grill machinery that you can get, and among the three different grill methods, this is the least healthy. Some might be allergic to charcoal, so to avoid any allergies, I would advise you not to place your dough on the grill grates directly.
Use aluminum foil paper over the grates before placing your frozen dough. This foil helps your crust not to come in direct contact with the charcoal. Also, it helps your dough to avoid the dark patches that you could get from grilling directly.
- Heat your charcoal chimney and allow the coal to heat up. When your coals are hot enough, you can place them into the grill using long tongs. There are two ways in which you could set your coal.
If your grill is big enough, you can separate the charcoal, placing them at both sides of the grill and leaving a space in the middle where you will have your frozen pizza. Or, if your grill is not big enough, you can place the charcoal at one end of the grill. So, one part of the grill will be hot and the other cold.
- The reason for splitting the fire and having a cool and hot side is that you get direct and indirect heat sources.
- After you have poured the charcoal into the grill, place your grate over the grill and pre-heat it. You can heat it with medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
- If you will place your pizza directly on the grates, clean and oil it before placing your pizza. If you do not want to place it directly, you can place your foil paper, pizza stone, or whatever you prefer.
- Place your frozen pizza on the grate surface and cover it. Then allow it to cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Open it to make sure all parts of the pizza are evenly heated up. If not, you can adjust your pizza, close the lid of the grill and allow it to cook for an extra 2 minutes.
- After this, take off your pizza from the grate carefully to avoid burning yourself. Let it cool for two to three minutes, and then you can slice it up and serve it to everyone present.
2. How to Cook Frozen Pizza on a Gas Grill
This is one of the most convenient and most comfortable ways to prepare your frozen pizza among the three grilling tools. It is easier for you to control the heating system and the temperature on the gas grill. This also means that you will encounter fewer chances of burning your crust.
It would help if you did not take for granted the level of your propane gas in your gas cylinder before you begin to grill. If you are grilling with the charcoal, you can physically see and measure the charcoal you need so you won’t get stuck. It is essential to check your gas level with the gas grill or have an extra cylinder for emergencies.
This is important because it won’t be fun getting stuck halfway and having a half-baked pizza. So, before you begin cooking, it is advisable to check and make sure your gas will be enough for the process.
- Pre-heat your gas grill between 7 to 10 minutes, close the grill’s lid to maintain the heat within the grill. Put on only one side of the grill; this will help you have a direct and indirect heat source.
- Since you are using a gas grill, you can set the heat temperature at a minimum of 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When you have achieved the required heat, place your frozen pizza on the side of the oven that is on. Kindly place the pizza directly on the grates, or you could use a pizza stone. Close the grill’s lid and cook for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, you can check to make sure that the crust is evenly cooked. If the crust appears to be cooked, move your pizza to the side you did not put on and let it sit there for 3 minutes while you cover the lid. The indirect heat will allow your cheese to cook and melt all over the top of the pizza.
- After 3 minutes, put off your gas grill, take out your pizza with a spatula, place it on a large pan or plate. Let it cool for 3 minutes, and then you can slice it up and serve it to those around. Be sure to heat your gas grill to the recommended temperature on your frozen pizza box.
Different ways to cook pizza on a grill top
Placing your frozen pizza directly on the grates of the grill is not a bad idea. It helps your dough to get the direct heat and cook well till you get a crispy dough. On the other hand, it is not always advisable to directly place your pizza dough on the grill grates.
This is because the grill’s direct heat can sometimes cook the dough faster while leaving the toppings. So, you might end up with an over-cook or burnt crust and a half-cooked topping.
Secondly, it is not healthy to place your dough directly on the grill because the grates might not always be clean, contaminating your food. Now, if you are using a wood-burning or charcoal grill, the dough might come in direct contact with the wood or charcoal and cause allergies for some people.
So, the best way to cook your pizza over the grill is by using intermediaries that give you a better result. Let us take a look at some of the implements you could place your frozen pizza and grill on.
1. Iron skillet
When you use an iron skillet on your grill, the grill acts as a stove in cooking your pizza. The skillet is very lovely in distributing heat evenly; hence you would not end up with a burnt crust. The skillet is the ideal tool for grilling a deep-dish frozen pizza, a thick crust pizza, and a stuffed crust pizza.
Do well to grease your iron skillet with olive oil after you have pre-heated it with the grill. This will prevent your frozen pizza from getting stuck to the pan when cooking. While you are cooking, rotate the pan on the grill to ensure that the heat is evenly distributed.
One of the advantages of using an iron skillet over a pizza stone is that the iron skillet won’t break or crack, unlike the pizza stone. Also, the iron skillet is way cheaper, and you get the advantage of cooking a deep-dish pizza better than you would on a pizza stone.
2. Pizza Stone
One of the best implements you could use to get a perfect crust and toppings is the pizza stone. The pizza stone aims to shield the dough from the direct heat of the grill. You do not have to worry about direct and indirect heat with the pizza stone while grilling your pizza.
The pizza sits comfortably on the stone, and the stone helps transmit the heat from the outer part of the crust to the inner part. Not all stones can withstand the heat from the grill, so before buying any pizza stone, it would be necessary to get the grill’s best stone.
A cordierite stone is one of the most recommended for cooking your pizza on the grill. Before using the stone, it is necessary to heat it when you are heating your grill. The best thing about the pizza stone is that it can be used for gas, coal, and wood-burning grills, but it is best suited for the gas grill.
It would be essential to state that you do not have to wash your pizza stone while it is still hot; this can cause damage to the stone. Allow the pizza stone to cool off, and then you can wash it with water and a soft sponge.
3. Fire Bricks
Baking pizza on a wood-fired oven has been an ancient gift handed down to us, and it is incredible. This wood-fired oven made of bricks allows the clay bricks to absorb intense heat. The bricks then redistribute this intense heat to anything around it.
This intense heat from the bricks helps to blister your pizza dough perfectly. Although you might not have an oven made of bricks, you can use bricks on your grill top to grill your pizza, and it yields excellent results.
These hot bricks absorb enormous heat that makes your frozen pizza cook faster. The heat quickly absorbs the dough’s moisture, giving you a perfect crust that is crispy, not soggy. This style is often used by pizzerias that bake Neapolitan style pizzas.
To use this method, get some bricks, clean them with a brush, and avoid using water on them. It is necessary to use clean bricks because you will be placing your pizza on them, so you do not want to contaminate your food.
Place these bricks on the grates of your grill, and make sure they are firmly set, to avoid them from moving while you are placing and cooking your pizza. Pre-heat your grill and the bricks at the same time to get the required temperature. The bricks might not be hot as a brick oven, but they will undoubtedly make a difference.
These bricks will help the dough to be a little distanced from the fire. This means that the heat from the bricks and the grill’s heat will simmer your dough, distributing the heat evenly above and below the pizza.
This means that you will have a well-cooked dough and pizza toppings. These bricks work better for a gas oven because it is easier to regulate the temperature.
Why Grill a pizza
We usually associate grilling with fun activities like parties and barbecues, having friends and family around. Deciding to have frozen pizzas for occasions like this is fantastic because you get to feed many people without wasting much time.
Secondly, if you think of providing pizzas for a large group of people, then grilling is the best logical idea because it saves you a lot of electricity consumption. You do not have to worry about your home getting too hot from the heat of the oven. So, deciding to grill your frozen pizza is the best idea.
Plus, grilling your frozen pizza adds a whole different kind of flavor to your pizza. The smoke from the grill makes the flavor of your pizza outstanding.
If you were unsure if frozen pizza can be cooked on a grill or wondering how it is done at the beginning of this article, this article has cleared your doubt. Also, I have stated the type of grills you can use and the best way to go about it to yield an excellent outcome.
It would help if you tried this option; you would be surprised at how flavorful your pizza might turn out. Plus, you will cut back on electric bills and find a better way to cook during summer.