I do not know about you, but the first thought that comes to mind anytime I think about Pizza Hut is their classic original pan hut pizza. And if you crave pizza with a thick crust, there is no way you can miss out on this detail.
The interesting thing or what makes pizza Hut pan pizza so famous is that this thick crust is not soggy in any way.
This thick crust is crispy and crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy interior. This classic pan pizza has won them many customers and fame for more than 40 years after inventing this pizza crust technique.
We have all enjoyed this crust, and the good news is that in 2019, they came up with new technology and recipe to make this pan pizza more crispy and better than it used to be.
This is a welcomed change for all of us that have cherished Pizza Hut’s pan pizza.
If you are hoping to recreate this fantastic crispy pan pizza at home for one reason or another, you are in the right place.
This article will show you the ingredients and recipe you need to recreate a perfect Pizza Hut pan pizza.
Get your baking gears and stand ready because things are about to get interesting over here.
What is Pizza Hut Pan Pizza?
Pizza Hut Pan Pizza is a pizza that is baked in a deep-dish pan with the pan’s walls as high as nine inches, twelve-inch and fifteen inc respectively. Soybean oil is placed into the pan, and this cooks the bottom and sides of the pizza to produce a crispy pizza crust.
Pan pizzas have a thick crust bread that is usually thicker than the other two bread crust options offered at Pizza Hut. This thick pan pizza has been a trademark of Pizza Hut for the last forty years, and in 2019 they decided to tweak the recipe for this pan pizza.
Rather than using whole-milk mozzarella cheese, they have decided to incorporate a different type of cheese and a new baking process and pan to enhance the crust’s crispiness and flavor. This renovation is one way for Pizza Hut to keep up with the competitive pizza market and attract more customers and followers.
Pizaa Hut PanPizza Recipe
There are basic things you need to know before we dive into making this pan pizza. First of all, one of the secrets to this excellent crispy crust is the use of soybean oil.
It would be best to oil your pan very well with soybean oil before you begin; this oil makes the crust cook well and has crispiness.
You can use any other oil, and it wouldn’t be a problem, but if you have soybean oil, I will suggest that you use that because the soybean cooks the crust and makes it brown and crispy like an authentic Pizza Hut Pan Pizza. Secondly, you need to make your dough one hour before baking it in the oven.
If you are in a hurry, you might not get the best result. The reason for this time limit is that you need to mix your dough and put it in a warm place for it to rise for at least sixty minutes before you apply your toppings and put your pizza in the oven.
Pizza Hut Pan Pizza Recipe
For your Pizza dough:
- 1⅓ cup of warm water, which should be 105 degrees F
- ¼ cup of dry milk (non-fat)
- 2 Tablespoons of soybean oil for your dough
- 6 Tablespoons of Soybean oil
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 package of dry yeast
Ingredients for the Pizza Sauce:
- 1 jar of tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- You begin your baking process by mixing your dry milk, salt, sugar, yeast, and water in a bowl. Stir this mixture and allow it to sit for two minutes until your yeast starts to bubble or appears foamy.
- Add your two tablespoons of soybean oil to the mixture and stir it until it is evenly mixed. Add your flour to the mixture one cup at a time to make sure that it is easy for you to stir and also for the dough to mix evenly. Add all your flour and keep stirring until the flour is absorbed and a dough is formed.
- Take out your dough mixture from the bowl and place it on a smooth flat surface. Pour some flour on the flat surface before you place your dough to avoid it from sticking to the surface. Knead this dough for ten minutes until it becomes silky, then divide the dough into three equal balls.
- Roll your three balls of dough into a 9-inch circle using a rolling pin. Take three 9-inch cake pan and pour in two tablespoons of soybean oil in each pan. Make sure the oil is distributed evenly on the surface of each pan. Place each rolled dough in each pan and cover with a plate or plastic wrap to maintain the heat within the pan.
- Place these covered pans in a warm, draft-free area and let your dough rise for an hour or until the dough is puffy, which means you have to be attentive.
- You can use this time to prepare your pizza sauce. Pour your tomato sauce into a bowl, add all other ingredients and mix until you have an evenly mixed sauce. You can place the sauce in the fridge until you are ready to put it on your dough. You can also use this time to prepare all the pizza toppings you intend to use for your pizza.
- When your dough has risen, place your tomato sauce and then your toppings on the pizza. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit together with your pizza stone.
- When the oven is ready, slide your pan with the dough onto the pizza stone and bake for 20 minutes. You can check the pizza after ten minutes to ensure that all is going well, then close your oven and continue baking.
- After 20 minutes or after you see your cheese bubbling, take out your pizza and let it cool for 2 to 3 minutes, slice it up and serve. You will have a browned and crispy pizza pan pizza, just as perfect as the one you buy from Pizza Hut.
Is Pizza Hut Pan pizza the same as Deep-Dish?
Most people are likely to confuse pizza hut pan pizza with deep-dish pizza, but they are totally different. Pan pizza refers to a pizza with a thick crust that is baked in a pan. But a deep-dish pizza, on the other hand, is more like a “pizza-pie.”
Yes, a deep-dish pizza has a thick crust, but the difference is that this thick crust has a thick layer of toppings, cheese, and sauce within the pie. So the bottom and the sides of the pizza serve as the walls to hold these pie fillings.
Is Pizza Hut Pizza Fried?
The pizza hut’s pan pizza option is fried but do not misunderstand this for deep-frying, where you immerse the pizza in hot oil. If you go through the instructions, you will remember that you have to put some oil on the pan before placing your dough.
The oil cooks up the bottom of your dough and allows it to have a crispy texture. But this oil only heats up when the whole pan is placed into the oven; this is when it can cook the dough. This is what we refer to as frying in this case.
Has Pizza Hut Changed Their Pan Pizza?
Yes, pizza hut has altered the recipe for their classic pan pizza, and the reason for this is to get a more flavored and crispy crust. They have revamped the sauce and cheese on the original pan pizza, and they have engineered a new type of pan to make the crust crispier.
Does Pizza Hut Use A Special Oil for Their Pan Pizza?
Yes, one of the secrets to the tasty and crispy pan pizza crust is the soybean oil. This is the oil that you use to oil the pan before placing your fresh pizza dough.
You might be staying far away from a Pizza Hut restaurant, which means that you might not get your special pan pizza any time you want it. Or maybe you are tired of always having to spend extra money to buy a pan pizza. Whatever your reasons are, making a pan pizza like Pizza Hut is worth the time and energy.
And hopefully, this recipe will help you recreate a perfect Pizza Hut Pan pizza that you can bake and enjoy from the comfort of your home.