Have you ever opened your fridge, and there is nothing left but some carrots, spinach, and zucchini? If you are the creative type, then you already have a meal in mind.
I like pizza, and so recently, I wanted to try something different – the zucchini on a small pizza. This is yum yum I’m glad I made it.
When you also have other ingredients like sausage and green bell peppers in the fridge, you are good to go. Anyone making it will like it because it’s easy to assemble and, in fact, make a quick dinner.
For over three weeks, we have had zucchini in season. And I’m one of the few who likes to use veggie or fruit in season. Therefore, the only way to make use of it is to find other unique meals to make.
Recently, I made five mini pizzas, and my sister couldn’t halt; she ate 3 of them. LOL! I then made another set the following day, and once again, the pizzas weren’t enough. This recipe here today is the one I used, and it’s sure to please; I can vouch for it.
But if you want the most straightforward method, then bake one large pizza. Additional ingredients like onions, corn, green beans, etc., will make your pizza even tastier. That’s the magic of pizza; anything can be a topping! Well… almost anything!
As you can see, this recipe allows you to play with ingredients. If you are creative, then you will always be in for a happy surprise in the kitchen. With this creativity then you can create your Sistine Chapel, and still, it tastes pretty good.
If you have a garden where you plant zucchini, don’t let them rot. Make with them different meals, including pizza. Come on, take a ride with me to make these pizzas.
How to make the zucchini pizza?
Zucchini Pizza Bites
Pizza Dough Ingredients:
- 150 grams of high-gluten flour
- 90 ml of warm water
- 2.5ml of yeast
- 2.5ml of salt
- 5 grams of sugar
- 10 grams of olive oil
- Half a root of zucchini
- 2 green peppers, ·
- 50 grams of sausage,
- · Pizza sauce (the amount is up to you. If you like it saucy, then make it saucy!),
- Mozzarella (again, the amount is up to you, if you like it cheesy… well, you get the idea)
Making the dough
- Start the preparation to make the dough.Put high-gluten flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, olive oil in the bread bowl. Start to mix everything and then knead it to form a dough. Keep kneading until the surface of the dough is smooth and elastic. The perfect dough is what also makes the perfect zucchini pizza.
- Allow it to rise Now cover the dough in the same bowl with plastic film or a damp cloth. Let it rest and rise to double its size. This should take 30 – 45 minutes, depending on the weather condition and where you set the dough. *While the dough is rising, let's get on with some prep!
Prepare the zucchini and other toppings.
- Naturally, the zucchini may be bland, but who wants to eat bland food? No one, right? The most common method that people like to use is the salt and squeeze technique. But this method only works when you have time. It will take about 30 minutes to get rid of the water and enhance the flavors. Cut the zucchini into small pieces, next toss them in the salt and garlic, but then you can let it sit in the drainer. Once the time then elapses, you can squeeze the zucchini. With this then you will release more moisture and water. If you want to, you can rinse the zucchini again to release the excess salt. You want to reduce the moisture that would otherwise make the pizza soggy. Also, the zucchini then will soak up the flavors around the pizza. Also, slice the sausage, and cut the green pepper into small pieces for later use.
- Prepare the cheeseCut the mozzarella into slices or small pieces if you're using whole fresh mozzarella. You can use pre-shredded mozzarella. For me, the more cheese, the better. So you get to choose how much you want to add to your pizza.
- Work on the dough.Please take out the risen dough and let it breathe for a moment. Go on to divide it into five small doughs. Again allow it to rest for 10 minutes (skip this part of the recipe if you want to make one big pizza). Take the dough and roll it into a slight pizza crust (they don't have to be perfect. But anyone who wants it all perfect should use a circular dough cutter. With the cutter, you'll get that perfect round shape). When you have made the thin pizza dough base, then you are almost ready for the process. Use a fork to pierce some small holes on the dough surface.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the surface of the crust.The sauce then creates the base for the toppings. I don't know what sauce you are using, but I like my marinara sauce. Preheat the oven too. Please set it to a temperature of 450°F to heat up. This should take between 10-15minutes.
- Sprinkle a layer of mozzarella evenly. You want to enjoy the pizza; you should not limit the cheese. I like to have a lot of cheese on the pizza crust, making the pizza stretchy.
- Time for the zucchini sausages and pepper layering. Put on grilled sausage slices, green peppers, and zucchini slices (or whatever toppings you chose). You can put as much as you want. Some people like to make the toppings extra, but others like a little bit of the toppings.
- Some more cheeseYou will never get enough of the cheese for sure, and this is what it is about. Sprinkle a little extra mozzarella cheese on top.
- Set on the baking trayPlease put them in the baking tray or stone wherever you intend to bake your pizza. Bake for about 20 minutes in the middle of the oven at 180°C. Bake for 15 minutes. At the 10 minutes' mark, take it out and add the remaining cheese to the surface. Continue to bake for 10 minutes; the surface will be slightly yellow. When this then happens, you know that your pizza is already cooked. Check the crust to make sure it's fully cooked and preferably golden brown. If you can check to find the cheese being melty, then that's ready.
This recipe guide we made here is meant for small size pizzas.
It’s not a surprise that one person can eat up to 3 (or more depending on appetite). Regardless if you want to make the large pizzas, you still can do it. The taste will always be the same, and the only thing you need to do then is to stretch the large dough.
The zucchini is very tender and delicious.
I like to make the pizza style when zucchini is in season. You can also mix with some of your favorite vegetables. This is an excellent way to use up the produce in the refrigerator.
Your zucchini is mild, and therefore then it will work so well with the different flavors you blend it in with. If you want, then you can use it with the tomatoes, and it will deliver the perfect crunch too.
It doesn’t matter whether your zucchini is from the farm or the ones you buy in the market; it will always work.
Do you have a pizza stone?
There’s a difference when you use a pizza stone. This is the easiest way to use in attaining a crusty pizza. It doesn’t matter whether you are making it vegan or just the traditional style.
The crispy pizza is everything for most people. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t use other baking sheets because you can.
It‘s the best choice for those vegan pizza deals.
It would help if you made the vegan cheese and the zucchini and maybe tomatoes, then you are good to go.
Sometimes you can decide to cook the crust a little bit first. After the cooking then you can go on to use the toppings over the pizza. That then means you will quickly attain the healthy pizza.
Can I store the leftovers?
Of course, you can store the leftovers. But make sure you store it as soon as you are done eating. This way then you don’t let the window for the bacteria to start forming.
In the fridge, the pizza shouldn’t stay for more than three days. If you set it at the right temperature in the freezer, it can stay longer than two weeks.
This is also true for those times when you want to make the crust or pizza base. For some, then they make the crust earlier and set it into the freezer, making it easy to create the pizza because then you will have to top it.
How do you remove the water from the zucchini?
There’s a difference when you try to reduce the zucchini’s moisture because that also means you will have a not-so-soggy pizza.
I always say you should employ the method we already discussed above. So then you should slice the zucchini to the thickness you would like. Set them in a colander with another basin or sink under. Next, add salt as though you are making a salt bath.
Leave the content in the colander for some 30 minutes. In most cases, then you will have the zucchini having drained out the excess fluid.
Next, remember to rinse it because otherwise, it can be too salty to eat. after this, it’s best to either wring it or use a piece of clean kitchen cloth to get the excess water out. You will mostly know the importance of this step when you have ever cooked the pizza, only to come out with a soggy one.
This process is one of the must-do ones because it will make the zucchini absorb the flavors and the nutrients, making it ready to blend in with the other ingredients like the sausages.
Which cheese should I use?
You can use different kinds of cheese for the zucchini pizza, but the most common one is mozzarella. Regardless if you want, then you can blend in other cheese types for the perfect flavors.
I like to add in some provolone, cheddar, and parmesan cheese. If you like, then you can use the Monterey jack but with the Colby jack as well.
Is this pizza we made here vegan?
No, it’s not a vegan pizza because it has animal sausage and also animal cheese. But then you can make it a vegan type if you like. Remember, sometimes, the toppings and how you make the crust will determine whether it’s vegan or not.
Can I use this recipe to make the large pizza?
Of course, yes. We had already mentioned this, but yes, you can. The difference is that you don’t need the dough balls to be too small. You will always spread them a little more to attain a diameter of about 14inches to make a large pizza.
How long will it take to cook the pizza bites?
The reason we love this recipe too is that it takes a much shorter time to make it. If you especially had everything ready, then in 20 minutes, the pizza is on the table.
Just remember, if you like it to be Ooey gooey, then you will need to add more cheese every time.
If you want, you can make these pizza bites earlier and then reheat them when your visitors come. Alternatively, cook them just when the guests are already here.
We loved this pizza. I hope you too enjoy it as much as we do here. But don’t just watch it go on and try making it and come back to the comment section to show us your results.